ECTOR COUNTY - A family of four is dead after apparently being overcome by carbon monoxide in their trailer in southern Ector County.
Ector County Sheriff's Investigators were called to the home in the 16000 block of Pollard around 5:15 p.m. Monday when a concerned neighbor called authorities about the welfare of his neighbor.
Deputies found four people dead inside the trailer.
They have been identified as:
Another 6-year-old child was staying with relatives.
Deputies found Mrs. Martinez and the two children in the living room of the trailer. Mr. Martinez was found in the back bedroom close to a generator that had been hooked up to the electric box to the trailer. The generator was in the "on" position and apparently had run out of gas.
During the investigation, it was determined that Mr. Martinez borrowed the generator to run electricity to the trailer to operate heaters and other electrical appliances. It is believed that Mr. Martinez woke up and tried to get to the generator and was overcome.
The last time anyone can verify seeing any of the family was Saturday, November 21st. That is the same day the generator was borrowed.
There is no foul play feared at this time and it is believed carbon monoxide poisoning caused the deaths.
Autopsies will be performed on all four victims sometime this week in Fort Worth.
Marisa Martinez tells NewsWest9 she saw her brother for the last time on Saturday night at the family's home in Odessa. On Monday, after more than a day of non-returned phone calls, they started getting worried.
"We thought they were mad at us. My dad said, 'let's go see what's wrong.' They left around 7-7:30 and they were all there already, the police, the ambulance. They wouldn't let us in," Martinez said.
Juan Jesus would have celebrated his 31st birthday, this coming Christmas Eve. "He was the closest to my dad. He was my parent's favorite. He was very close to all of us," Marisa said.
The only surviving member of the family is 6-year-old, Daisy. She was fortunate enough to not be home when the tragedy happened.
"My sister-in-law was with her mom and took Daisy and left her there. My brother went and picked up Judy and the boys and left her with her grandmother. Now, she's all alone," Martinez's brother, Juan Carlos, said.
Marisa says, the family says they know how it happened. Now, this close to the holidays, they have to learn how to pick up and move on.
A memorial fund has been set up to offset funeral expenses. If you would like to help out, contact Complex Community Federal Credit Union and tell them you want to donate to the Martinez Family account.