Swine Flu Case Confirmed in Andrews

By: Sarah Snyder
NewsWest 9

ANDREWS - It's finally hit the Basin. Health officials confirmed the first case of Swine Flu in West Texas and it's in Andrews. Local authorities say so far the reaction has been calm, but they want the community to take every precaution to keep it from spreading.

This case is an Andrews neighbor, about 30 years old, who's been undergoing treatment for several weeks and so far they've responded well. The county judge tells NewsWest 9, there's still a risk and people need to be careful.

"A lot of our families go to Mexico every weekend, there's a lot of back and forth and that's not a bad thing," Andrews County Judge Richard Dolgener, said. "We just need to recognize where we're at, wash hands, it's in Mexico. It's big in Mexico."

This case was announced last week as a "probable case." The Andrews Health Department declined to comment, but state officials say almost all of their probable cases come back confirmed.

"This could be a very serious thing because we've gone since 1915, that epidemic that killed millions of people, to now, when we're not accustomed to a flu killing millions of people," Judge Dolgener said.

The county judge tells says they were first notified last Friday about the situation and so far the public response has been calm. They want to remind West Texans to be cautious: stay at home if you're feeling sick, cover coughs and sneezes, and wash your hands often.

"You shouldn't curtail your outdoor sports or anything like that," Judge Dolgener said. "Just be careful about it."

NewsWest 9 also spoke with the Andrews ISD School Superintendent and he says at this point they don't have any plans to change classes or summer sports.