Families Weigh in On Crockett Hoax

By: Sarah Snyder
NewsWest 9

ODESSA - A big hoax with bad timing. Someone called Odessa Police about a gunman on Crockett Junior High's campus on Monday. Turns out it was all fake. But it couldn't have happened on a worse date: the 10th Anniversary of the Columbine massacre.

At around 1p.m. on Monday afternoon, an anonymous caller told police they saw somone running around their campus with a gun then they hung up. Odessa and E.C.I.S.D. police raced to the scene and put the school on lockdown, sending shockwaves across campus and leaving parents un-easy. 
"Every exterior door and interior door is locked and no one moves," Mike Adkins, E.C.I.S.D. Director of Communications, said. "No one goes in or out or moves around the hallways. No one moves in or out of a classroom."

And the phone lines lit up with students calling their parents and families trying to find out what was going on.

"Our teacher she let us use the phones to call our parents and let them know that we're ok and everything," Crockett 7th Grader Aaron Vazquez, said.
And on the 10th Anniversary of the Columbine shootings, parents say they're just grateful it wasn't the real thing.

"It's a relief that it's a hoax, but I'm glad they took it serious, because you don't know when it is and when it isn't," Crockett Parent Priscilla Munoz, said. "It could have been real and if it had been real, I don't know. That would have been horrible."

After spending about two hours searching each classroom, police gave the all-clear.

"The phone call was a hoax," Adkins said. "And somebody is going to be in big trouble."

But for Aaron, the hero of the day was his seventh grade teacher.  

"She told us to be calm," Vazquez said. "That everything would be ok. That made me feel ok and that we were going to be safe."

Odessa Police and E.C.I.S.D. officials are still working to figure out who made that phone call and why. Police did take three students into custody who were found wandering through the hallways after they began the lockdown. There's no word yet on whether they had anything to do with the phone call.