by Victor Lopez
WINKLER COUNTY - A new twist in the case of two former Winkler County nurses, set to go on trial next week, they're accused of giving patient's personal information to the Texas Medical Board.
Jury selection and opening arguments are scheduled for next Monday, but as NewsWest 9 found out, only one defendant will be on trial.
Both sides were ready to go in the case against Anne Mitchell and Vicki Galle, but when the jury is seated next week, Mitchell will be facing them alone.
According to court records, prosecutors have dismissed the case against co-defendant, Vicki Galle.
This all started last year, when both women who were nurses at Winkler County Memorial Hospital, were accused of sending private patient information to the state medical board allegedly to "harass a doctor."
NewsWest 9 received a copy of the motion for dismissal, and the only reason given is "prosecutor's discretion." we're told that's a general term meaning there is no specific reason for the decision.
NewsWest 9 also spoke to defense attorney Brian Carney and he says, while it's good news that Galle's case has been dismissed, it's also bitter sweet.
"Obviously, we're glad it's dismissed but this is very, kind of a neutral finding just because of the way it's been carried out and the fact that it's taken 8 months to do this to Vicki Galle and she was looking forward to having trial and clear her name," Carney said.
Carney has been trying for months to get both cases dismissed. A Winkler County District Judge denied his motions, saying the nurses would go to trial. In October, a change of venue was granted, moving it from Kermit to Andrews.
Anne Mitchell still faces felony charges of mis-use of official information. Jury selection and opening arguments for her trial, are set to take place next Monday.
NewsWest 9 will continue to follow this developing story and bring you the latest details as they become available.
Newsroom Phone: (432) 567-9991
Can’t find what you're looking for?