MIDLAND, TX (KWES) -Are your presents safe under the tree from holiday thieves this year? Most people are too busy celebrating during the holidays to make sure that their gifts are safe and secure. Texas residents may want to be more careful and alert because historically certain crimes spike during the holiday season. Texas is ranked 6th most holiday thefts in the nation according to the VivintSource team.
The Vivint Source team analyzed four types of crime according to their state that tend to take place November, December and January.
Types of crime included: Larceny, burglary, robbery, and auto thefts.
Highlights from the report included
- Texas had an average of 69 thefts per 10,000 residents during the holiday season, over the last 5 years.
- Larceny is the most common crime of the four, with an average of 7,708 crimes per state per month, from November through January.
- Robbery being the least common crime of the four types, with an average of 80 instances per state per month, from November to January.
- New York, impressively having the least amount of larceny and burglary out of the 48 states that were analyzed.
- You can view the full report here.
So be careful out there locals and keep your gifts safe because, not everyone is on the ‘Nice’ list this year.